Monday, October 8, 2007

Big sigh of relief

That was nerve-wracking. I don't think I can take any more sporting disappointments this year, and I really have my heart set on the Springboks winning that cup. We always knew it was going to be a tough game, given the way the island nations play (and the size of those men!). But 20-20 with 20 minutes to go? Way too close for my liking. I don't mind the opposition getting points on the board, as long as my team has a lot more points on the board first! At times I couldn't watch, and I felt the same way I did during that Cricket World Cup game against Sri Lanka (well, actually it was just against Malinga...). As you may recall, in a rare moment of true grit rivalled only by the 438 game, the Proteas managed to scrape through that one too. Is there special heart medicine for sport fans?

I just love the way this team seems to be able to rebound after a setback, and I think that's the quality that's going to take them all the way. After those two Fijian tries, the Springboks looked like a TEAM, not like a bunch of bewildered orphans. I'm sure it has a lot to do with that Sasol ad... (actually, that's only half a joke. It has to help your confidence immensely when you've been cast as a herd of superhuman mutant conquerors in one of the best TV ads we've seen in a while. Personally, I get goosebumps every time I hear John Smit's voice thundering, "Tonight... we CONQUER!")

I'm looking forward to a France/SA final - playing England in the final would just be too easy, and not because of that 36-0 thing (in fact I'm sure that score would galvanise the English into serious action in the final), but because the French HATE the English and the crowd would be behind us all the way.

And besides, what better way to win a world cup than by beating the host nation in the final?

No comments: